We’re here to give you the lowdown on the workout that’s been taking the fitness world by storm – the 7 minute workout. You may have heard people talking about it, but what exactly is this workout called? Well, fret no more, because we’re about to reveal the name behind this quick and effective fitness routine. So, if you’re curious to find out what this workout is called, keep reading!
This image is property of static01.nyt.com.
7 Minute Workout
The 7 Minute Workout is a popular high-intensity exercise routine that consists of a series of quick and intense exercises performed for 30 seconds each, with 10-second rest periods in between. The workout typically includes a combination of cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility movements. It is designed to provide a complete full-body workout in just seven minutes, making it a convenient and time-efficient option for those with busy schedules.
The 7 Minute Workout gained widespread attention after an article was published in the American College of Sports Medicine’s Health & Fitness Journal in 2013. The article, titled “High-Intensity Circuit Training Using Body Weight: Maximum Results With Minimal Investment,” detailed the benefits and structure of the workout, sparking interest and enthusiasm among fitness enthusiasts around the world.
The 7 Minute Workout consists of twelve exercises that target different muscle groups and aspects of fitness. These exercises include:
- Jumping Jacks: A classic cardiovascular exercise that engages the entire body and increases heart rate.
- Wall Sit: A lower body exercise that strengthens the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes by holding a seated position against a wall.
- Push-Ups: An upper body exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, and triceps.
- Abdominal Crunches: A core exercise that strengthens the abdominal muscles.
- Step-Ups onto a Chair: A lower body exercise that targets the quadriceps and glutes by stepping up and down onto a sturdy chair.
- Squats: A lower body exercise that engages the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes by bending the knees and hips into a seated position.
- Tricep Dips on a Chair: An upper body exercise that targets the triceps by lowering and raising the body using a stable chair.
- Plank: A core exercise that engages the abdominal muscles and strengthens the core by holding a push-up position on the floor.
- High Knees Running in Place: A cardiovascular exercise that increases heart rate by running in place with high knees.
- Lunges: A lower body exercise that targets the quadriceps, hamstrings, and glutes by stepping forward and bending the knees into a lunge position.
- Push-Ups with Rotation: An upper body exercise that targets the chest, shoulders, and core by performing a push-up and rotating the body to one side.
- Side Plank: A core exercise that engages the obliques and strengthens the side abdominal muscles by holding a side plank position.
The 7 Minute Workout offers a range of benefits for individuals of all fitness levels. Some key benefits of this workout include:
- Time Efficiency: With only seven minutes required, the 7 Minute Workout is a highly efficient exercise routine that fits well into busy schedules.
- Full-Body Workout: The workout targets multiple muscle groups, combining cardiovascular exercises, strength training, and flexibility movements to provide a comprehensive workout.
- Convenience: It can be performed anywhere, as it does not require any special equipment or a gym membership.
- Increased Fitness Level: The high-intensity nature of the exercises helps improve cardiovascular endurance, strength, and overall fitness.
- Weight Management: The 7 Minute Workout can aid in weight loss and weight maintenance by burning calories and increasing metabolism.
- Accessibility: The exercises can be modified to suit different fitness levels, making it suitable for both beginners and more advanced individuals.
Scientific 7 Minute Workout
The Scientific 7 Minute Workout is a version of the original workout that was developed by the Human Performance Institute. It follows the same structure and exercise sequence but incorporates variations that focus on maximizing the benefits within the given time frame. The Scientific 7 Minute Workout emphasizes proper form and technique for each exercise to ensure optimal results.
Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout App
The Johnson & Johnson Official 7 Minute Workout App is a digital fitness platform that provides guided workouts based on the original 7 Minute Workout. The app offers customizable workouts, progress tracking, and video demonstrations of each exercise to help users perform the workout correctly.
Google’s 7 Minute Workout
Google’s 7 Minute Workout is a web-based version of the workout that utilizes animated illustrations and voice prompts to guide users through the exercises. This user-friendly version allows individuals to complete the workout without any external apps or equipment.
NYT’s Scientific 7 Minute Workout
The New York Times (NYT) developed their version of the 7 Minute Workout based on scientific research. This variation includes modifications to the original exercise sequence and additional exercises to provide a more well-rounded workout. The NYT’s Scientific 7 Minute Workout offers video demonstrations and a detailed explanation of the exercises to ensure proper form and technique.
This image is property of d2hy56m2o6qi9y.cloudfront.net.
Comparison with Other Exercise Programs
HIIT (High-Intensity Interval Training)
HIIT is a training method that involves alternating periods of high-intensity exercise with periods of rest or low-intensity recovery. While the 7 Minute Workout can be considered a form of HIIT, it offers a shorter time commitment and a more structured routine. HIIT workouts can vary in length, typically ranging from 10 to 30 minutes, and may involve a broader range of exercises than the 7 Minute Workout.
Tabata training is a specific type of high-intensity interval training that follows a protocol of 20 seconds of intense exercise followed by 10 seconds of rest, repeated for a total of four minutes. The 7 Minute Workout can be seen as a longer and more varied version of Tabata training, as it includes a sequence of twelve exercises performed for 30 seconds each.
Circuit training involves performing a series of exercises in a specific order with minimal rest in between. While the 7 Minute Workout shares similarities with circuit training, it differs in terms of the time commitment and the number of exercises involved. Circuit training sessions can range from 15 minutes to an hour, whereas the 7 Minute Workout provides a complete workout in just seven minutes.
CrossFit is a high-intensity fitness program that combines elements of weightlifting, cardio, and bodyweight exercises. While the 7 Minute Workout can complement a CrossFit routine, it does not offer the same level of diversity and intensity as a full CrossFit workout. CrossFit workouts typically last for around one hour and involve multiple rounds of different exercises, including Olympic weightlifting and more advanced movements.
This image is property of cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net.
Effectiveness and Research
Since the publication of the original article on the 7 Minute Workout, numerous scientific studies have been conducted to explore its effectiveness and health benefits. These studies have examined the physiological responses, metabolic impact, and overall fitness improvements associated with the workout.
Research has shown that the 7 Minute Workout can lead to improvements in cardiovascular fitness, muscular endurance, and body composition. A study published in the Journal of Sports Science and Medicine found that performing the 7 Minute Workout three times a week for six weeks resulted in significant increases in VO2 max, which is a measure of aerobic fitness. Another study published in the American Council on Exercise’s Health & Fitness Journal reported improvements in muscle activation and calorie expenditure during the workout.
While the 7 Minute Workout offers numerous benefits, it is important to acknowledge its limitations. The workout is primarily designed for general fitness and may not be suitable for individuals with specific health conditions or restrictions. Additionally, the seven-minute duration may not provide enough exercise volume for those seeking substantial muscle growth or advanced athletic performance. It is always advisable to consult with a healthcare professional or a qualified fitness instructor before starting any exercise program.
This image is property of d2hy56m2o6qi9y.cloudfront.net.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should the 7 Minute Workout be performed?
The frequency of performing the 7 Minute Workout can vary depending on individual goals, fitness level, and schedule. For general fitness improvements, three to four sessions per week can be sufficient. However, it is important to listen to your body and gradually increase the frequency as your fitness level improves.
Is it suitable for beginners?
The 7 Minute Workout can be adapted to suit beginners by starting with lower intensity variations of the exercises and gradually increasing the pace and difficulty. It is essential to prioritize correct form and technique to prevent injuries and ensure a safe and effective workout.
What if I have limited mobility?
Individuals with limited mobility can still benefit from the 7 Minute Workout by modifying the exercises to accommodate their abilities. For example, performing seated versions of movements or using resistance bands can help engage muscles while reducing joint impact. Consulting with a physical therapist or a fitness professional can provide personalized modifications and alternative exercises.
Can I lose weight with the 7 Minute Workout?
The 7 Minute Workout can be a valuable component of a weight loss program when combined with a balanced diet and regular physical activity. While the workout itself can contribute to calorie burning and increased metabolism, it is important to remember that weight loss results from a combination of factors, including a calorie deficit and overall lifestyle choices.
In conclusion, the 7 Minute Workout offers a time-efficient and effective way to improve fitness levels, enhance cardiovascular health, and engage multiple muscle groups. With its versatility and convenience, it can be adapted to various fitness levels and tailored to individual preferences. However, it is crucial to approach any exercise program with caution, ensuring proper form, and considering individual needs and limitations.
This image is property of media.post.rvohealth.io.